Sunday, April 08, 2007

What a Shower !!






Tuesday 3rd April

Continuing rain across most of central and northern Spain with serious flooding in Navarra and Arragon. Today saw the laying of the tiles in the shower. Each tile consists of “mat” of 169 (13x13) 2.5 cm“mosaic” tiles stuck upside-down on brown paper (to keep them in position)…….they are mainly used for lining swimming pools. The advantage in a shower is that they can be easily moulded and adjusted to the correct levels for water flow to the drain.

J and I discussed the layout and process of laying the tiles, and she left me to it. I made up a large bucket of tile cement and let it stand for 5 minutes as per instructions. I then started laying it, and found it was only enough for 2 tiles. J looked in and was horrified at the amount of cement I was using. I was spreading it on with the gardening trowel and making ridges with the notched trowel, but had difficulty controlling the depth of cement to the requisite 4 mm.

J remonstrated with me…..she measured it with a match @ 15 mm…… but I said I was doing the best I could, and she left me to it, and returned to fine tune her reticulation system. After 2 more buckets of cement, the tiles were finished and I was ready to start the step that J had designed it by using some left over edge tiles and a line of mosaic tiles in between. After laying the bottom layer of edge tiles and the line of mosaic tiles with copious amounts of cement, it was too much for J to bear, and she took over making the step……with much reduced amounts of cement.

The job was finished mid afternoon, and although it looked ok, we were uneasy at the amount of cement I had used. We went over to Tourist Information to try and get details of the Semana Santa parades here and Malaga, but they only had details for Coin.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home